Notes on how this is done as of 11/8/18
You have a long page & somewhere near the bottom you want the visitor to go there without having to scroll down. Want to provide a link that when clicked, jumps the screen to that section.
- In the dashboard editor scroll down to the section you want to jump to
- Type some text – something like Map
- Highlight the word “Map”
- In the menu choose Insert then Anchor
- Give the anchor a name – I called it map
- Now the anchor is set
- go to the top of the page & create a link using Insert then Insert/Edit link
- choose the page you want to jump to
- You will see a link in the dialog box
- after the last slash (/), type #map
- click box “open in new page” if that’s what you want
- Update the page
- Now when visitor clicks on the jumping off point, they will be directed to the anchor that was placed further down the page
Note: This may not work for the free version of WordPress. This feature may not be provided.